Friday, December 28, 2012

Life in Transition

I can't believe this year is coming to an end. It seemed that 2012 went by so fast, yet so slowly at the same time.  So much has changed in the last year and I feel that I am in a major transitional period in my life.  I am discontent where I am now, but know things will keep changing. For me, this year is all about change.
 
A lot has changed in the last year.  I started my MSW program at USC.  So far, it is going really well and I am still enjoying it.  I completed 3 semesters last year and have one more semester to go before I graduate.  I should be done with the program in April 2013 and will graduate in May.  I hope to be able to go down and walk for graduation and meet some of my fellow classmates.

Work has been chaotic throughout the year.  I went through countless jobs trying to find something that allowed me to make some extra money during the school year, but allowed me enough flexibility for my classes and internship. It was hard to find something that fit into my schedule and provided sufficiently for me financially.  I finally found something that seems to be working.

At the end of October, Bary, housing manager at Drexel House, contacted me stating they had a part time, temporary job opening.  He remembered when I left there after my initial internship that I mentioned if he ever had work, to let me know.  I got hired as a Resident Coordinator for 16 hours a week, plus on call.  The on call would be if people were sick, or on vacation, then my hours would increase.  I took the job and soon after started my internship there again as well since USC had failed to place me. On top of that, another of the RC's quite fairly soon after I got hired.  So, my 16+ hour a week job is now more like 40+ hours a week. 

So, this is my life, I work about 40 hours a week, mostly graveyard.  Then, I intern between 20-24 hours a week at Drexel House as well.  The graveyard shift is nice since it is midnight - 8:00 am during the week, and midnight to noon on weekends.  I am getting at least 40 hours a week and the best part is, I am able to do my schoolwork while at work since people are sleeping when I get here.  Unless something happens, the nights are mostly quiet, and I don't have a lot of required work to do, so it does give me time to study.  Without being able to study, there would be no way I would be able to keep this work load.  And, some things will change in January.  Then, a new worker will be hired.  I will be moved to 28 hours + on call as a part time, permanent employee.

So, I guess that is it.  Things are still chaotic and I don't know where my future will take me.  What I do know is that I will finish school in a few months, and then look for a full time job utilizing my degree.  I want to change my life as overall, I am not as happy as I should be.  My first goal will be finishing school and finding a job.  I know that won't happen for a few months, so in the interim, I will focus on making other changes in my life that will ultimately help lead to some long term goals I have established. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...